Cauliflower ‘Steaks’ topped with Olive and Tomato
I have an internship working in the kitchen of a little private school this quarter, and the head cook mentioned to me that she had recently been to a conference where they served ‘cauliflower steaks’–and she said it was the best cauliflower she had ever had.
To be honest, I’m not a huge cauliflower fan, but I looked up a recipe and decided to try it out. Wow. You really need to try this one. I don’t know why they call it a ‘steak’–it reminds me more of a super healthy, super delicious bruschetta–but I agree that it’s the best way to eat cauliflower ever. I will definitely be making it again!
Cauliflower Steaks with Tomato and Olive Relish
Serves 2 – 3
Vegan, gluten free
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 c. black olives, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 1 t. basil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t. lemon juice
- Trim and remove leaves from cauliflower, leaving core intact. Starting in the middle, use a large knife to cut the cauliflower into 1/2 inch thick “steaks” (you’ll have cauliflower left over).
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Heat your olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Cook cauliflower steaks until golden, about 2 min per side. Transfer cauliflower to a nonstick baking sheet and roast until tender, ~15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add chopped tomato, olives, spices, garlic, and lemon juice to the pan over medium heat. Cook until hot throughout and slightly thickened.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and place on serving plates. Spoon the tomato-olive topping over the cauliflower, and enjoy!