I’ve been on a carrot kick, so prepare for a lot of carrot-focused spring recipes in the next couple days. I made this for breakfast the other day and it was incredible! Smooth and creamy, and with just the right amount of spice to give it that carrot cake flavor! Who knew that a smoothie with a vegetable in it could taste like dessert?
Carrot Cake Shake
- 1 medium (or 2 small) carrots
- 3/4 c nondairy milk (I highly recommend coconut for a creamier shake)
- 3 oz firm tofu (can omit, but it won’t be as thick)
- 1/2 large ripe banana
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- dash salt (to bring out sweetness)
- sweetener to taste (I used ~1 T raw honey)
Directions: Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. I recommend blending just the carrots and milk first, then adding everything else so that you don’t get any hidden carrot chunks. Pour into a tall glass, and top with another dash of nutmeg and crushed pecans. Yum!
Each serving has ~260 calories, 10 g (healthy!) fat, 14 g protein, and 4 g fiber
Question of the day: What are your favorite carrot or spring-themed recipes?